plug the semi-official PLUG prospective topics list, V0.1

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Sun Jun 7 18:12:18 WST 1998

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998 campbell at gear.torque.net wrote:
> Put me down for the following topics:
> > How to write Linux device drivers
> > How to write Linux modules
> This is for me is definitely a "been there, done that" exercise.
> (2 and a "couple of bits" drivers to my name).
> David Campbell

Great!! When do you think you'll be able to do it? I for one would really
enjoy this talk, and I am sure that whatever level you want to aim it at
will be appreciated. Perhaps you could do a brief tour throught the
drivers you have written? (what were they, btw?)
Is this a talk that can be done easily at UWA?
The next two vacancies seem to be there, though I am trying to borrow a
projector for UWA, which will make things more flexible.

> PS: If anyone is mildly competent in C programing the lp driver
> needs an overhaul. But not too many kernel programmers actual use a
> printer (scarry actually).
The parellel port handling stuff, or the printing-specific stuff? (as
opposed to, say, zipdrive, SCSI thru parallel, or plip)
I don't know that much about the hardware of a parallel port, but the
slightly higher-level stuff I'd like to have a look at after my exam.

Thanks a lot for your offer of a talk, do let me know if you need anything
arranged,

-Greg