plug Western Power and Linux

HILL Walter walter.hill at customs.gov.au
Tue Jun 9 09:16:21 WST 1998

All,

What it boils down to is the value of the lost production (loss of
utility of the machine) or potential loss of data occurring through a
power spike (or dip) worth more than $800.00? Since most businesses are
also reliant on power for lighting, heating, cooling and phones (If you
have a PABX) then data protection probably rates highest on the list.
The alternative is no UPS and to potentially replace a damaged machine
and completely rebuild the software on it; assuming that you do a
nightly backup.

It's a question of risk, just like insurance. We use UPSs here merely to
allow our Novell based servers time to shutdown gracefully rather than
stop cold.

In the big scheme of things $800 isn't a lot of money. But typically the
majority of people I would speak to; _average_ users & not distinguished
members of plug ;-); not only do they completely discount the notion of
a backup (either to tape or some other media) based purely on an initial
outlay, much less the notion of an UPS. But balk at the idea of having
to pay for software.

If you were serious about it all you could consider a generator!!! Now
we're talking $$$

Walter Hill                                    ,-_|\
w.hill at computer.org                          /     \
walter.hill at customs.gov.au                   \_,-._/
+ 61 8 9430 1505 (Voice) + 61 8 9430 1751 (Fax).
X.400 C=AU A=ATTMAIL P=AUSGOVCUSTOMS O=EMAIL G=WALTER S=HILL