plug RedHat 5.1

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Wed Jun 10 10:43:22 WST 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> Would anyone like to do an _unbiased_ rundown of RH vs Debian?  I assume
> there's strengths & weaknesses in both, consequently each should be
> suited to particular applications.

Well, yes, I'd love to, but sadly I am not unbiased:)
Nor have I had all that much experience with recent Redhat, though enough
to know that I don't want to switch to it any time soon.
Anyone tried RH5, D2, and chosen slackware or stampede? (Caldera and Suse
are too close to RedHat for it to be unbiased, IMHO)
They would be unbiased, but I am not sure they exist....

The best I can say is that RH focusses on ease of install/use for the
newbie, and has more integrated support for commercial packages, while Deb
focusses on reliability, flexibility, and standards-compliance.
I would say that RH perhaps aims at desktop users, where Deb aims at
production environs.
One really has to use both for extended time periods to know which is
right for you.

-Greg