plug RE: RH vs Debian

David Campbell campbell at gear.torque.net
Wed Jun 10 18:43:10 WST 1998

> Would anyone like to do an _unbiased_ rundown of RH vs Debian?  I assume
> there's strengths & weaknesses in both, consequently each should be
> suited to particular applications.

In a couple of lines:
a) Redhat is easier to install than Debian
b) Debian has a larger range of packages than RedHat in the standard
   distribution.

REMEMBER: The distributions mostly distribute the same packages using two
different methods. The files and scripts reflect the attitude of the
groups behind the distribution. RedHat want Linux to be as easy to use as
possible. Debian wants to make Linux as useful as possible. As we all know
"usefullness" and "ease of use" are sometime conflicting objectives.

Recommend RedHat for beginners and systems which may need reloading on a
frequent basis.

Debian for people who like a "customised" system (these people are likely
specify each and every individual component when they go out and buy a
computer).

For security concious people, start reading USENET lists for security
alerts, subscribe to the security alert mail list. No distribution is
better than any other but this way you will hear when a possible loop hole
is found and where to obtain the latest patches.

I hope the above is an unbiased view, or at the least the best I can
manage.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

"All parallel ports are equal - Some are more equal than others"