plug RedHat 5.1

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Wed Jun 10 11:12:14 WST 1998

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Gavin Tweedie wrote:
> Whens the next meeting
monday week. UWA meetings are always on the fourth monday.
that makes it....ummm..the 22nd?

> and whos talking about what? :)
I wish I knew:)
The original plan was for David Campbell to do a talk on device drivers,
but apparently he has been warned he might be in singapore in at the time,
and won't know til later in the week.
Two months from last night, we will have a GIMP scripting talk from Leon,
6 weeks, but maybe 4 weks from last night we will have a talk on
applixware/staroffice from ..umm.. Tony. (I am terrible with names)
It would be very nice to have a more basic GIMP talk before the
gimpscripting talk, so I am begging for volunteers to do this next DEC
meeting, and preparing for the possibility that I will have to do it
myself. If someone can do this talk, it will let Leon start from a higher
level, which will suit his intentions. GIMP is something that wants to be
done with a projector, though a few people are chasing projectors for UWA
use, so this might become a non-issue.
The other idea is that we can have a semi-formal trouble-shooting session,
where people bring in their problems and we see if we can fix everyones
hassles. From memory, there are lots of powerpoints around at UWA, so
perhaps better suited to there....chris?
To make things easier for DEC (and possibly UWA and others) to deal with
us, it seems that we ought to become an "association" or whatever that
means, which will involve a little discussion at a meeting sometime,
perhaps best suited to being combined with something short, or something
like a trouble-shoot.
Before this can happen, however, I am informed that someone actually needs
to go the effort to find some kind of legal form or something. Leon seems
to know about this but doesn't have the time to do it. If anyone is
interested in helping out, then I spose they ought mail him if they are
unsure. Sounds like a Gary job to me, he seems to be the most
keen/organised about such things :)
Before anyone gets mad, don't worry, we are not becoming dull and formal
or whatever you are worried about us becoming, we just need to do this for
people like digital, and given the generosity we have been shown, we
should do whatever we can to make it easier for such people.

> If it hasn't already been done a security talk would be good. (Exploits,
> SSH, shadow passwd files, remote authentication (radius/kerberos....) and
> the like.
Our first talk was on security, but not on these particular issues.
If you (or anyone) wants to talk about these, I am sure it would go down
well.

> Were there any ISPy type guys in attendance last night?
Well, I was. I was the long-haired lout at the front sitting next to the
other long-haired lout, who, incidently is also an ISPy type guy. (not to
be confused with the other longhaired lout over to our right, who is not
an ISPy type guy AFAIK.)
Why do you ask?

-Greg