plug RedHat 5.1

The Thought Assassin assassin at sleepless.south.networx.net.au
Thu Jun 11 12:11:56 WST 1998

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, The Thought Assassin wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:
> nonetheless (at least some of) the pros use RedHat. iiNet is one example
> I'm certain of.
Oh, certainly, there's nothing wrong with it whatsoever, I just find that
it takes a little more work to lock down, and you tend to have to watch it
more closely when removing or upgrading packages.
Of course, given that someone is a "pro" that is not going to be a
problem.
People that battle giant squids are not going to have much a fight on
their hands making redhat sit and stay.
As matt said, most "pros" only use the distro for the initial install, and
housekeeping, while the important things are upgraded by hand.

> Something else I'm certain of: the RedHat description of the individual
> packages is inadequate for the beginner. By way of example:
<description snipped>
I am sure there is more information available than that?
Dependencies, certainly, but shouldn't it also have a priority?
IMHO, if a package has a priority (i.e. required, important, standard,
optional) and clear dependencies, that is all the newbie needs to know.
I don't know of a system that gives more, anyway.

-Greg