[plug] ZIP/JAZ/SPARQ drives

HILL Walter walter.hill at customs.gov.au
Mon Jun 15 08:33:42 WST 1998

Hi,

I've used an external parallel zip drive at home for a year & a half and
it's been a real blessing. It may not be the fastest but it sure is
convenient since most PC's I attach it to have a parallel port. My dad
has an internal SCSI ZIP which is quite a bit faster but you lose an ISA
slot. The SCSI card they give you with the drive a fairly crippled
Adaptec.

I've got a Jaz drive at work (the 1GB version) & that's been very handy
too. I work with largish data file & I tend to keep them on Jaz disk
rather than on my PC's hard disk. The extra expense comes when you need
more SCSI cards; like a PCMCIA one so that I can cart the Jaz drive
around with my laptop when I go 'visiting'.

Reliability has been good on all of them, although I had problems at
work when I switched from Win 3.11 to NT 4.0. It exposed a design flaw
in my PC's motherboard which caused it to trash a disk. Hurrah for Acer.

Walter....
Walter Hill                                    ,-_|\
w.hill at computer.org                          /     \
walter.hill at customs.gov.au                   \_,-._/
+ 61 8 9430 1505 (Voice) + 61 8 9430 1751 (Fax).
X.400 C=AU A=ATTMAIL P=AUSGOVCUSTOMS O=EMAIL G=WALTER S=HILL