[plug] pine

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 18 11:27:35 WST 1998

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, russ wrote:

> Yes, I agree. The only defense I have is that I am new to linux and trying
> to configure my machine so I don't have to log on as root. Amongst other

Unlike NT (hiss), you can be logged in as two users at once.
You can 'suspend' (or ^Z) your 'su' session, or use a differnet window
or virtual terminal.

> things, currently I can't get my dialup ppp to work unless I am logged in
> as root. Something I must have done in the early stages?

'pppd' needs to run as root. Try "chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd".
I dont know why RedHat havent done this, with a group for security.

> > If you must run pine as root, you can add your own headers under the
> > "customized-hdrs" section, so you can add a "From:" header that defaults
> > to your user account.

Ug! Thats as bad as my idea of changing the $LOGNAME.

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't
pick your friend's nose.

PGP ID 8B3D0765. FP: 30 07 BF 6C 9B 45 E8 C8  EA 30 4F 01 DC A2 91 88