[plug] New network card

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Mon Nov 2 09:49:07 WST 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Shackleton, Kevin wrote:

> I've just replaced an ISA NE2000 clone card in my PC with a PCI card - a
> Realtek 8029 (also an NE2000 clone), which was lying around on a shelf.
> I don't seem to be able to disable PnP in this card with jumpers or by
> using the DOS setup utility.  It starts up in Windows at IRQ 9 and I/O
> D000, whereas the ISA card was 10/300.
>
> When I start up in Linux I get the messages:
> Oct 31 16:50:10 kilaleshwa kernel: loading device 'eth0'...
> Oct 31 16:50:10 kilaleshwa kernel: ne.c: No NE*000 card found at i/o =
> 0x300
> Oct 31 16:50:10 kilaleshwa insmod: /lib/modules/2.0.32/net/ne.o:
> init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> There are a number of things I'd like to find out:
>  - what's the syntax to grep all files including in subdirs for "0x300"
> (it's not in lilo.conf).
>  - given that I find the I/O entry somewhere and remove it, I hope the
> startup process will automatically find the card at 9/D000.
>  - if it won't start up, how does one install a completely new card
> without going through the full install again (RH5.0) which may result in
> my disk being reformatted.
>
> Incidentally, the Realtek came with a floppy with a Linux directory,
> with a tar file.  Unfortunately no instructions.  The site
> (www.realtek.com.tw) has a self-extracting archive that has the same
> file with instructions on building a new kernel.  I was hoping not to
> have to go that far, but . . .

I believe that you will find that the ne2k-pci (rl 8029) requires the use of a
different driver.  Try booting the mcahine. and cd'ing to the
/lib/modules/2.0.32/net directory ... see what files there are

Hopefully you'll find a file called ne2k-pci.o  ... if thats there then try a
modprobe ne2k-pci and check ``dmesg'' for info on where (if at all your card
was found).

If the file is there AND the modprobe finds the card ifconfig it etc etc and
test it .... if all seems okay then edit the line

alias eth0 ne

and make it

alias eth0 ne2k-pci

Then in theory the card should be correctly configured when next you boot the
system.

My machine runs 2.0.35 and I'm not exactly sure when support for the ne2k-pci
was built into the kernel.

Also the following URL may be usfull for you.

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/

> K.

Yours Tony.