[plug] Re: [PLUG] sed will not

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Mon Nov 2 08:48:19 WST 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Matt Kemner wrote:

> I agree with you here.

> But what I was saying is, you can't use the above 2 sed lines to prove
> that it doesn't contain tabs, because even if there was a tab after
> "GAWK(1)" the first sed line would STILL not have matched it.

I think my point originally is that your failure to match \011 was
meaningless as there were no tabs to find. It's entirely possible that
there was a translation exception twixt mind and fingers.

> Someone needs to hack sed so you can pass it octal characters. :)

I had thought it was supposed to match \t etc, but I'm not telling anyone
as I've not been able to discover how to type it. I'd not be surprised to
learn bash is getting in the way as it did when I was trying to find out
how to find files and process them.

> > Oh, and I don't regard is as a favour to mail me in duplicate. One to the
> > list (so all can see it and pick any holes needed) is just fine by me.
>
> Haven't we been through this debate before?

Not with me, though I do imagine I have a few supporters here. Lots of the
folk who pay by the minute for their connect time for starters.

I don't, but last time I tried a major resort of my mail I needed another
100 Mb or so for my work area.

> _I_ prefer to be cc'd a personal copy, because I am on many mailing lists,
> several of which are very slow in return time (eg linux-kernel, bugtraq),

Slow is a subjective time: I can't fault a turn around of a few hours as my
mail goes out at 23:00 (sometimes 00:00 if I can't get a line at 23:00) and
I can accept answers to 6:30.

otoh I can imagine those with a full-time connexion would think anything
beyond a few minutes is slow.

I'd not noticed linux-kernel was slow: my main problem there is filtering
the threads.

> This is a debate that will never get solved because you prefer it your way
> and I prefer it mine.  However I promise to try and remember that you
> prefer not to be cc'd if you promise to remember that I do.

Compromise? I'll not send you any imbedded html.

> One of these days I'll hack pine so I can give it a list of addresses for
> which it shouldn't cc: the author. :)

While you're at it, threading would be useful too.

Now, one for M, one for the list.

Cheers
John Summerfield