[plug] wierd virtual domain problem

Peter Caffin pc at it.net.au
Wed Nov 4 21:01:03 WST 1998

Leon Brooks wrote:

>Peter Caffin wrote:
>>Okay, here's a wierd one.. I've resolved problems with virtual
>>domains
>>before when the virtual domain comes up with the standard host's
>>webpage. Not a problem. But, I'm now in the situation of getting the
>>reverse..
>
>>www.ptcc.it.net.au is a virtual domain off monster.ptcc.it.net.au.
>>Any time I try to get www, I get www. Any time I try to get monster,
>>I get www. Very annoying. Anyone experienced this one and know of a
>>fix?
>
>IP based or name based? Ping from here seems to say name.

Spot on :).

>Some (particularly older) browsers don't work well with name-based VH.

Hmm. It used to work before I switched from Slackware 3.3 to Debian 2.0
on the server. innocent.ptcc.it.net.au, a client machine, uses Netscape
3.04 and could see them differently prior but sees them as the same
after. It's also coming up as the same page with Lynx Version 2.8rel.2
(1998), so I've discounted that being the cause.

>Try giving it a separate IP, if you can, and see if this helps.

But it worked before, which is the annoying thing. About the only
difference I can think of is that I wasn't using modules in the
Slackware version and the Debian installation installs modules by
default. But none of the modules would seem to influence this
behaviour..

Matt Kemner wrote:
]I have experienced this problem (apache defaulting to the first
]VirtualHost entry rather than the "main" host) before, usually when
]apache couldn't resolve it's "ServerName" (from httpd.conf) to an IP
]on the local machine.
]Fixing the DNS or /etc/hosts file and restarting apache usually
]fixed the problem.

Yup, I've checked that. It doesn't seem to be that either :(.

---------------8<---------------
$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost
203.8.116.41    monster.ptcc.it.net.au  monster www.ptcc.it.net.au  www
203.8.116.42    innocent.ptcc.it.net.au innocent
203.8.116.43    villain.ptcc.it.net.au  villain

I've lobbed my Apache config files onto it.net.au/~pc/virtualprob/ for
anyone who's got a bit of time to have a peek.. I've probably missed
something hideously obvious (Murphy's law in action).

 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
/                    PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |