[plug] IRC server software

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Nov 10 17:21:37 WST 1998

At 11:52 10/11/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hello all
>
>I have some friends scattered arround the globe (with Net access).  I thought
>it would be nice to chat with them :).  I also though that I have very little
>experience with irc and I'd liek to change that.
>
>So I had the idea of setting up an irc server, that my friends and I could
>chat on.  I've hunted arround on the net and only managed to turn up one
>program "(ircd)" it is kinda old the time stamp on the file is 16/09/1996
>... So I was wondering if anyone can recomend some software

Is there any reason why you want to run your own server?  In general there
are plenty of decent networks in Australia and overseas which are
reasonably stable and are probably more worthwhile than setting up your own
server.  I find OzOrg is alright (www.oz.org for a list of servers)
although there are others.  There's also the Linpeople network which I
naturally couldn't get away without mentioning. ;-)  irc.linux.org.au is
the Perth server and there's a list of others at www.linpeople.org I believe.

Using an existing network/server might be more practical than starting your
own...  re-inventing the wheel and all that. :)

Regards,

Christian.

And the Lord spake saying: "First shalt thou take out the holy pin.  Then
shalt thou count to three.  No more, no less.  Three shall be the number thou
shalt count and the number of the counting shall be three.  Four shalt thou
not count, neither count thou two excepting that thou then proceed to three.
Five is right out!  Once the number three, being the third number be reached,
then lobbest thou thy holy hand grenade of Antioch towards thy foe who,
being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."			- Monty Python