[plug] List newbie asks dumb question - SQUID for home use?

Tiwest JV colinr at tiwest.com.au
Wed Nov 11 17:46:05 WST 1998

Please excuse me (?flame me) if this issue has been covered before, but I am puzzled as to why you would install SQUID for home use when there is only one or perhaps two clients.  Surely SQUID is primarily a caching programme, not a proxy server (although perhaps it does "proxying" as well).

If there is only a small number of clients, wouldn't they prefer to get "fresh" versions of the Web pages or files they are trying to access, rather the same ones they got before?  I know if I visit the same site repeatedly it is because the site changes rapidly and I specifically don't want a cached version.

Perhaps (this is very likely) I have a fundamental misunderstanding about the way SQUID operates...