[plug] List newbie asks dumb question - SQUID for home use?

David Buddrige dbuddrige at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 12 11:33:29 WST 1998

SQUID is a Proxying program that also cache's... the reason I am using
it is:

a. RAM is plentiful on my intended proxy server (my 486) (SQUID cache's
as much data as possible in electonic RAM rather than purely being on
disk - hence increasing speed dramatically, but at the cost of high RAM
usage)
b. Since my wife usually goes to the same sites repeatedly (hotmail,
amazon, transperth and white-pages), it makes it faster for her if they
are cached locally rather than being downloaded fresh each time.

regards

David

>From: Tiwest JV <colinr at tiwest.com.au>
>To: "'plug at linux.org.au'" <plug at linux.org.au>
>Subject: [plug] List newbie asks dumb question - SQUID for home use?
>Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:46:05 +0800
>
>Please excuse me (?flame me) if this issue has been covered before, but
I am puzzled as to why you would install SQUID for home use when there
is only one or perhaps two clients.  Surely SQUID is primarily a caching
programme, not a proxy server (although perhaps it does "proxying" as
well).

>If there is only a small number of clients, wouldn't they prefer to get
"fresh" versions of the Web pages or files they are trying to access,
rather the same ones they got before?  I know if I visit the same site
repeatedly it is because the site changes rapidly and I specifically
don't want a cached version.

>Perhaps (this is very likely) I have a fundamental misunderstanding
about the way SQUID operates...