[plug] Quake

Anthony J. Breeds-Taurima tony at cantech.net.au
Fri Nov 13 13:38:16 WST 1998

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Neil Hunt wrote:

> G'day all,
> Someone mentioned the other night that
> a) we can play full version quake over a network without the cd
> and,
> b) we can play quake in Linux without the cd
> Does anyone have any clues as to how I would do this...as I want to set up
> a proper quake server on the machines here...

We'll if your gonna run a Quake server at NetTrek you'll need to purchase a
legit copy ... BUT from there just copy the install from a win95 machine to
your Linux box ... grab the appropriate patch levels and maps from the web
and then run "./quake -dedicated etc etc etc etc"  and it should be more than
happy to run without the smell of the CD ... I used to run one here at
CanTech but I stop because my manager thouhg it was a waste of bandwidth and
system resources :(

That was a while ago and my memory is failing ...  For more info try
http://www.linuxquake.com/

Yours Tony.