[plug] make menuconfig

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Wed Nov 18 06:52:36 WST 1998

Date sent:      	Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:11:49 +0800 (WST)
From:           	John Summerfield <summer at os2.ami.com.au>
To:             	plug at linux.org.au
Subject:        	Re: [plug] make menuconfig
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Colin 't Hart wrote:
>
> > I got 2.0.36 as a .tar.gz and put it in /usr/src/linux. Added a link from
> > /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux (or something like that)
> > and built my new kernel and modules; everything runs sweetly.
>
> Since I noticed that RH 5.1 shipped with "kernel 2.0.34" before the real
> '34 was released, I've decided not to trust RH kernels.

Actually they are using the pre-release kernels from Alan Cox who is on their
payroll. Where Linus has something like 4-10 patches per kernel release, Alan
stuffs something like 20-50 patches per kernel release (I have seen a message
refering to pre-release-16).

There is nothing wrong with the pre-release kernels, it is just a snapshot of
Alan's workbench until someone kicks him hard enough for a release.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux
parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
b) Get to the bottom of rumors of a third ZIP interface
c) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome