[plug] burning 5.2

Kim Covil kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
Wed Nov 18 15:25:44 WST 1998

> > Doesn't RedHat provide a file on their ftp site with a listing
> > of what permissions the dirs and files that go on a CD should
> > have so that it works? chmod 777 -R * is pretty ugly.
>
> No need - mkisofs -r automatically removes write permissions and
> will +x all groups if any is +x and sets all uid/gid to 0.
>
> In the end a `chmod -R 777 *` then `mkisofs -r -a -b images/boot.img
> -o rh52.iso .` did the trick, chmod 555 should also be fine.

The reason for not doing this is if you want to move the contents of the
cd to a Hard drive somewhere for use in an NFS install... suddenly
having all the files with executable permissions is messy (I know I am
being picky here... but I don't like the idea of someone accidentally
running an executable README...)

On a slight aside... does anyone know where I can get an rpm of the
newly released 2.0.36 kernel so I can add it to my next cd build...?

Cheers

Kim
Kim Covil - Australian Geodynamics CRC   E-mail: kimc at ned.dem.csiro.au
            CSIRO Exploration & Mining   Tel: +61 8 9284 8425   ,-_!\
            PO Box 437, Nedlands,        Fax: +61 8 9389 1906  /     \
            Western Australia  6009                            *_,-._/
   Please direct all personal e-mail to kimbotha at cygnus.uwa.edu.au