[plug] Mail encoding

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Thu Nov 19 10:56:04 WST 1998

> Hi,
>
> A friend of mine is getting the message:
>
> 500 Host server does not support 8bitmime
>
> in mail sent from Netscape Communicator via his Linux server.
>
> I believe that it is the message encoding but what should it be set to in
> communicator?

When I hit "enable 8 bit mime" under Pegasus mail I get the following message:

=================================
*** PLEASE READ THIS MESSAGE CAREFULLY! ***

8-bit data is formally illegal in Internet Mail and although many systems
permit it, you should be aware that its use can potentially cause considerable
problems for Internet sites using older mail systems and gateways.

Pegasus Mail allows you to generate messages using the MIME 8-bit encoding
format (no other 8-bit encoding makes any sense for Internet mail) but you do
so at your own risk and responsibility. Pegasus Mail's author expressly
recommends that you do not use this option unless you are very sure of what you
are doing, and will neither accept responsibility for the consequences of your
using it, nor will provide technical support for it.
=================================

I hope that sheds a little light on the subject.

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

Check http://www.torque.net/parport for all Linux
parallel port solutions.

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers (need to update docs)
b) Get to the bottom of rumors of a third ZIP interface
c) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome