[plug] proxying

Buddrige, David David.Buddrige at mitswa.com.au
Fri Nov 20 15:19:31 WST 1998

Here's what I did to get my system working...

1. Configured PPP using netcfg (redhat 5.2 will have this) tool - see
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/RedHat/PPP-Tips-6.html
2. Used the netcfg tool to tell ppp to start when the computer boots,
and also to re-connect when the link goes down.  Also got it to set the
default-route, and set this to ppp0 device.
3. installed squid from an rpm archive.
4. (VERY IMPORTANT), load SQUID with the -D option, which disables the
DNS test when squid loads - otherwise, SQUID will not run if the
internet is not currently connected!!! since DNS check's will return a
failure, and SQUID aborts.
5. Make sure you configure squid to go over the 8080 port - if you're
running redhat 5.2, then you've probably got apache running in the
background, which immediately takes over port 80... if you set squid to
run over port 8080 and then set your clients proxy to run over port 8080
with the ip address of your linux proxy running squid, you should be
fine.

hope this helps... else, ring me on 08 9343 8317 on saturday (or 0419
982 785) and I'll see what we can figure out...

cheers...

David Buddrige
Software Engineer
MITS Ltd.