[plug] Another (Possibly) Redhat specific squid tip

David Buddrige dbuddrige at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 22 12:19:07 WST 1998

<snip my stuff>

John Summerfield wrote:
>Bollocks.
>fwiw Here are two lines from my /etc/passwd
>nobody:*:99:99:Nobody:/:
>squid:!:15:51:Squid - WWW proxy cache:/var/cache:/bin/bash
>
>My squid runs as "squid."
>
>Your observation is equivalent to
>   "The maximum temp yesterday was 30c."
>   "It rained last evening."
>and the conclusion
>   "Next time the maximum temp  is 30c, it will rain in the evening."
>
>Flawed logic like this leads to superstition.
>
>Cheers
>John Summerfield
>http://os2.ami.com.au/os2/ for OS/2 support.
>Configuration, networking, combined IBM ftpsites index.

Hey, chill out man... keep your shirt on... 8-)  I read the bit about
being able to set up a squid user in the squid doco (for which I have
already posted the url), and considered that option.  However since:

1. Security is not a major issue, since I dial-out for a couple of hours
at a time.
2. A couldn't be bothered creating another user.

I decided to simply enable user nobody.  Prior to that, user nobody was
entirely disabled on my system.  This (apparently) worked.  I am still a
bit of a newbie when it comes to squid, so at present I am still trying
different things trying to get it to work at maximum efficiency.

In any case, if anyone knows of some better doco/learning material on
the web, I'd love to find out where the url is... I'm trying to learn as
much as possible at present about how this product works.

My understanding at present is that by defining a given user as the
cache_effective_user, you are effectively telling SQUID which user it
appears as to the net.  Given that understanding, it would make sense to
me that SQUID would have problems if that particular user was disabled.
However, you may be able to enlighten me as to the exact meaning of
cache_effective_user, in which case, please do.

(The problems I am having with speed may also be related to my isp,
which seems to be causing a lot of dropouts at present - and the modem
hangs for no apparent reason too)... in any case I'm just
sharing what I've learnt.

In any case, there's no need to be rude - we're all at different levels,
and trying to learn more.  My understanding is that one of the core
purposes of PLUG and groups like it is so we can share our experiences
and learnings, and help each other out, rather than being spot on right
every time... 8-)

I may have been mistaken, and you may not have intended to come across
rude, in which case, my apologies for being offended... 8-)