[plug] Another (Possibly) Redhat specific squid tip

Christian again at earth.global.net.au
Sun Nov 22 18:40:12 WST 1998

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, David Buddrige wrote:

> Thanks for that, this clears a bit of what's going on.... I've been messing
> around with SQUID, I actually think that my problems may be related to my
> isp... my modem keeps hanging... I'm connected for a while (and squid is
> working well - the pc my wife uses responds well), and then for some reason,
> the modem just stops responding.  Pinging sites on the net from the linux box
> gets no response.  Usually the only way to fix this is to drop the line and
> re-dial... has anyone come across this problem??  I've checked it out with
> Telstra, but the line seems to be fine.

What I would check is the following.
1. Firstly check in your /var/log/messages file for a line which will come
up when you dial stating something like:

Nov 22 16:49:19 daisy pppd[403]: remote IP address 203.24.54.11

That remote IP is the dialin server that you're connected to and
consequently is the best address to ping in order to purely test the
whether your modem is properly connected. (Obviously your address will be
different so don't try pinging 203.24.54.11!).  If the ping is
intermittently failing then there's probably a lot of noise on the line.

2. See if the same file has a line indicating that your modem has hung up
- you can also check the lights on the modem itself if you have an
external modem.

3. If you can ping your dialin server then try traceroute'ing to an
external site and see where the problem appears to be.  If it's still
inside your ISPs network then maybe it's worth giving them a ring if the
problem continues but most likely it's somewhere outside of their network
and there's no much anyone can do.

Good luck,

Christian.