[plug] Hub Wanted

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Mon Nov 23 09:25:58 WST 1998

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, P Robinson wrote:

> The  Bay Networks hub is a NETGEAR Hub, they do, as you say a nice little
> 4 port,

They're about $100 RRP for the 4 port, no BNC version or $139 RRP for the
4 port + BNC version.  Dealer prices are a lot lower though, if you know
someone with an account at JMD.. (I can probably get you the 4port
no BNC version for about $80 which is Cost INC + about $10)

> but you could get it cheaper at some where other than DS, you
> could check simline at simline.iinet.net.au

Interesting.. click "Pricelist" and it doesn't give any prices.

> you can also get a Network
> starter kit from bay which has one of these hubs, two Netgear PCI 10/100
> PCI network cards and two Cat-5 cables etc. These Netgear cards are based
> on the DEC Tulip chipset and are very nice.

They are very nice.. just beware that very recently Bay decided they
didn't want to trust Digital now that Digital is Compaq, so they changed
the chipset on the cards to one called "Lite-On" which is Tulip
compatible, however they are different enough, that they won't work with
the tulip.c in standard linux kernels so you will need to download the
latest version from Donald Becker's site.
(http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html)
The sad thing is, Bay include tulip.c on the floppy that comes with their
FA310TX cards but it's a version that doesn't work with the new
Lite-On chipset.

 - Matt