[plug] Another (Possibly) Redhat specific squid tip

Adrian Blockley blockley at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Nov 23 20:14:37 WST 1998

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, David Buddrige wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> Yes, there is such a policy, however I'm supposed to get at least 6 hours
> before they cut you off... the shortest I've heard of is 90 minutes (that
> particular ISP has since increased this to 2 hours)... at present, the
> disconnections are happening within 30 minutes of connecting...
>
> I would assume that if the modem had been disconnected, then the light's
> would all turn off... at present, it appears to remain connected, but the
> ping's are no longer working.... I'm going to check out the suggestions
> made by Christian...
>
> cheers
>
> Dave.  8-)

I think I remember you saying that Telstra checked the line out, but did
they check both ends.  I had a problem a year ago with my modem that kept
cutting intermitantly.  It was very frustrating sometimes it would be ok
for an hour and sometimes it would hang after 5 minutes.  Telstra checked
the line from their end and said the line was fine.  After puting up with
this for some time I tried Telstra again and explained my problem and that
I could hear noise sometimes when trying to connect or make a phone call.

They sent a technician who did some testing from my end as well; it turned
out that some grass had invaded a nearby junction box which was causing
input wires to rub whenever the wind was strong enough, but only on the
line coming in.  This was why they couldn't hear the problem from their
end.  It was a good thing that it was a windy day when the technician
came.  He cleaned out the grass and the problem went away.  intermitant
problems can be very difficult to track down...

Good luck

Adrian