[plug] Debian problems...

Christian christian at global.net.au
Tue Nov 24 00:01:33 WST 1998

At 23:40 23/11/98 +0800, you wrote:
>Hey, I've installed Debian 2.0, or rather Christian has. It seemed to
>install smoothly, but when I start debian now it runs up till the login
>prompt then flashes and will not allow keyboard input.
>
>Christian, perhaps there are some details I'm missing...

Yeah, there are actually. :)

When it was installing xdm, it asked if I wanted to use it and I said "yep"
to which it tried to start it and the result I got was lots of screen
flickering and no way to get back to a console.  The keyboard didn't lock
cause I could still ctrl+alt+del.

I can get back into the system via single-user mode but I'm not quite sure
of why xdm is doing this and also the best way of temporarily disabling it.
 I didn't spend much time fiddling with it however.