[plug] Netgear FA310 TX

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Nov 24 13:20:47 WST 1998

Hi Garth

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Garth Atkinson wrote:

> Has anyone been using the Netgear FA310TX  10/100 network card in a 10
> megabit LAN...

I have found they are very picky about what hub you can plug them into.. I
had one of them plugged into a really crappy 10Mb hub, and under heavy
load the card would stop responding, until I ran
ifconfig eth0 down;/etc/init.d/network to bring it back up.. Something in
the autodetection not working.. Replacing the hub with a Netgear 10/100
switch solved that problem.. I also have one of these cards talking to a
Netgear 10Mb 8port hub with no problems.
The other thing to note, is that the latest Netgear cards now have Lite-On
chipsets, rather than the DEC Tulip (check for the markings on the
biggest chip on the board) and will need the latest tulip.c from Donald
Becker's homepages to work.
(http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html)

Regards,

 - Matt Kemner
System Administrator/BOFH        "Words are too feeble,
Networx Internet                  they cannot contain"
(08) 9 345 3377                   Live, "Stage"