[plug] Database on Linux

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Wed Nov 25 05:34:20 WST 1998

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Damion Hill wrote:
> I have been doing some research as to which db will best suit my
> needs and have looked favourably at PostgreSQL. Does anyone
> have any horror stories about this system? I've noticed MySQL
> seems to have more publicity but does it deserve it? Also, I have a
> copy of Oracle (the pre-release) that I still haven't installed (sys
> upgrade soon, might go for it), does anybody think this is the way
> to go?

I decided not to use PostgreSQL as soon as I found its numbers are limited
in size to 9 digits. I've not looked further, so don't know if it has the
same failings as MySQL.

On RH systems, this is the easiest to installed: just select and install
the RPMs.

MySQL doesn't justify any claim to be relational: it has no idea of
Relational Integrity. That is, you can't define and enforce foreign keys
and the developers don't understand its importance. It also has (according
to the docs) funny ideas about decimal numbers.

Oracle, otoh, is industrial strength. Some of the world's largest databases
are controlled with Oracle.It's also large: if you download it, expect 139
Mb.

Oracle is a commercial product, but free on Linux in some circumstances.
afaicr MySQL costs under some circumstances.

Cheers
John Summerfield