[plug] Database on Linux

Greg Raftery GregR at scs.com.au
Wed Nov 25 08:37:55 WST 1998

I used PostgreSQL in my computer science project this semster and it worked
fine for my smallish Phantom web database. I did have a slight problem when
it ate *all* of my hard drive space, but it just needs to be cleaned every
so often.The installation was relatively easy, and using Perl to connect is
simple.

I can't really remember why I chose Postgres over the others (MySQL, mSQL),
but I think it did have something to do with the referential integrity
doubts about MySQL. Oh, importing data from a .csv file is also easy enough
in Postgres if you have existing data.

I would go for Postgres over Oracle because Oracle is demanding (not that I
have installed it and played with it yet), and you could be up and running
with Postgres in an hour or two.

Good Luck,
Greg Raftery

Strategic Computer Solutions