[plug] Database on Linux

Peter Robinson ribbo at iinet.net.au
Wed Nov 25 12:47:16 WST 1998

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Garry Moir wrote:

> Peter Robinson wrote:
> >You forgot Sybase ASE -> its totally free under Linux, not sure of the
> >details. With Oracle its free to developers but if you want to use it
> >commericially you have to pay, Sybase you can use it commercially for free
> >as well. That is why distributed.net is going to use it for there new
> >Stats server along with Linux unlike the NT + MSSQL they currently use.
>
> I believe that MS SQLServer grew out of Sybase SQL Server.
> Given that one of the gotcha's with the MS version is that the search order
> and the character set are established at the system level, meaning that all
> databases running on that server need to use the same settings for these.
> If they need something different, then another SQL licence is needed to run
> it on another server ("GOTCHA", cries Bill).
> Is that the same with Sybase ASE?

I don't think so, but I'm talking about the Linux version, which Sybase is
giving away for free. I don't think Sybase does that, as its to do with
licenseing more than the Software. MS does the same with users on an NT
Server network where if you have to have a license for each user on each
server (I don't think they are shareable like on Netware where you just
need to log onto the NDS tree)

Peter