[plug] phone line interference

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 27 15:26:56 WST 1998

On Fri, Nov 27, 1998 at 02:38:25PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> I don't know just what the hardware has to be at the 56K end, though no
> doubt the good folks at open, iinet, wantree etc do.
>
> I do not know whther ISDN qualifies as "fancy digital hardware."

I imagine it does qualify, technically, but I don't know if anyone sells
a device to do it, that isn't massive overkill.

What a "normal" consumer gets when they have "basic rate" ISDN is the
ability to have two 64Kbps streams ("B" channels - there's also a 16Kbps
"D" channel for control, call setup information, etc).

56Kbps products like the Cisco 5300 are aimed at having several "primary
rate" ISDN feeds coming into them, each carrying 30 "B" channels (and 2
"D" channels?). Many fewer cables for many more calls.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal