[plug] NFS problem

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sun Nov 29 06:43:46 WST 1998

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998, Matt Kemner wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, John Summerfield wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have any idea what's wrong here?
> > When I try out mount possum's devices on em, I get this on possum:
> > [root at possum /etc]# tail /var/log/messages
> > Nov 27 20:08:31 possum automount[5634]: expired /misc/cd
> > Nov 27 20:11:35 possum mountd[283]: NFS mount of /redhat attempted from 192.168.1.2
> > Nov 27 20:11:35 possum mountd[283]: Unauthorized access by NFS client 192.168.1.2.
> > Nov 27 20:11:35 possum mountd[283]: Blocked attempt of 192.168.1.2 to mount /redhat
>
> > Hint: I'm not using wrappers for nfs, so it's not hosts.* files.
>
> You may not be using tcpd wrappers for nfs, but the latest mountd (at
> least the latest that ship with Debian) are linked to libwrap, so they
> depend on HOSTS_ACCESS(5) files themselves.
> I needed to add an allow line for rpc.mountd for my clients in my server's
> files.
I AM using  tcpd wrappers for other services. This has been in place since
Sep 14:
[root at possum /etc]# cat hosts.allow
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
ALL:.os2.ami.com.au

It correctly matches the domain name I'm using, and is the same on both
systems:
[root at possum /etc]# hostname
possum.os2.ami.com.au
[root at possum /etc]# rsh emu hostname
emu.os2.ami.com.au
[root at possum /etc]#

/etc/hosts.deny is all comments:
[root at possum /etc]# cat hosts.deny
#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!
# ALL EXCEPT NFS : ALL

> > It did work here, I'm pretty sure in the past month or so.
>
> That's par for the course... Isn't NFS fun? :)

Not nearly as much as xntp

> HTH
>
>  - Matt

Cheers