[plug] CDs

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Thu Oct 8 13:32:40 WST 1998

Date sent:      	Thu, 8 Oct 1998 12:38:28 +0800 (WST)
From:           	Gavin Tweedie <tweedie at nw.com.au>
To:             	"'plug at linux.org.au'" <plug at linux.org.au>
Subject:        	[plug] CDs
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> Does anyone know of any tricks that I might be able to use to get 800meg
> of stuff (mp3s) on 1 cd???
>
> I dont think theres any way possible...but no harm in asking

There are 80 minute CD-R blanks => 722 MB
Problems:
a) non standard
b) hard to find
c) Microsoft tries to put the manufacturers out of business since you can
	then copy the "MS Select" CDs (I quote a reputable CD-R supplier in
	Singapore - which has offices in Australia)

How do you count the 800MB of mp3s?
(please excuse my ignorance on mp3 files)

CD-ROMs have a "blocking factor" of 2kB, hence the total count could be
greater or smaller than you have counted. Check how much space is
reported for a one byte file. (32kB on one of my FAT partitions, 1kB for ext2fs)

David Campbell
campbell at torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome