[plug] Non-rewinding devices under Linux

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Sat Oct 10 09:09:49 WST 1998

From:           	"Paul Wilson" <hooker at opera.iinet.net.au>
To:             	<plug at linux.org.au>
Subject:        	[plug] Non-rewinding devices under Linux
Date sent:      	Sat, 10 Oct 1998 08:25:23 +0700
Send reply to:  	plug at linux.org.au

> I've got a Linux server at work with a DAT drive and I'm putting together a
> backup script which ultimately writes everything to the tape.
>
> On other Unixen (Digital, HP, AIX etc) SCSI tape devices have an entry in
> /dev which refers to the device in 'non rewind mode' - for example, the
> normal (rewinding device) might be :
>
> 	/dev/s0t0d0
>
> and the non-rewinding device would be :
>
> 	/dev/s0t0d0n

*load shotgun*

You are getting very close to a subject that most SCSI kernel hackers fear to
tread, SCSI device numbering. Some argue it should be /dev/sda others say
/dev/sd6 (eg ID 6).

> It's useful when you want to write (for example) a header block on the tape
> which identifies the backup cycle.
>
> Linux doesn't have the equivalent device, so how do I do the same thing?

Huh?? I thought it did with minor numbers +0x80 from memory, just a
moment while I dive into the code and check drivers/scsi/st.c

David Campbell

campbell at torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome