[plug] Problems with talk

Greg Gamble gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 23 23:34:25 WST 1998

Hi,

  On my home machine running Slackware 3.5 (Linux 2.0.34) I can run
  talk quite happily. However on my boss's machine running Linux
  2.0.21 we get the message:

  [Error on read from talk daemon : Connection refused (111)]

  before it exits. On both machines (and I guess with practically
  all Linux boxes) we run the

  4.2 Berkeley Distribution       April 22, 1991

  version of talk. Any clues as to what's going wrong? ... or what
  to look at? ... I wasn't terribly enlightened by the manpage.

  I tried a few manipulations of the /etc/host* files without joy.

  Regards,
  Greg Gamble <gregg at maths.uwa.edu.au>