[plug] Re: [PLUG] sed will not

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Sat Oct 31 18:03:03 WST 1998

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, John Summerfield wrote:

> > > the command "man gawk" gives text w/o tabs. See here:

I agree with you here.

> > > [summer at possum summer]$ man gawk | sed -e "s/^GAWK(1)\011/=/" | head
> > >
> > > GAWK(1)                  Utility Commands                 GAWK(1)
> > >
> > > and here
> > > [summer at possum summer]$ man gawk | sed -e "s/^GAWK(1)/=/" | head

But what I was saying is, you can't use the above 2 sed lines to prove
that it doesn't contain tabs, because even if there was a tab after
"GAWK(1)" the first sed line would STILL not have matched it.

Someone needs to hack sed so you can pass it octal characters. :)

> Oh, and I don't regard is as a favour to mail me in duplicate. One to the
> list (so all can see it and pick any holes needed) is just fine by me.

Haven't we been through this debate before?
_I_ prefer to be cc'd a personal copy, because I am on many mailing lists,
several of which are very slow in return time (eg linux-kernel, bugtraq),
so the message that gets directed straight to me allows me to answer back
in real time. granted this is not so much of a problem with the plug list
(yet) but I still prefer the second copy.
Also there are several high volume mailing lists which I haven't
subscribed to but which I do occasionally follow through web archive. (eg
linux-net)
If I sent a message to one of these I'd like to be replied to in person.

This is a debate that will never get solved because you prefer it your way
and I prefer it mine.  However I promise to try and remember that you
prefer not to be cc'd if you promise to remember that I do.

One of these days I'll hack pine so I can give it a list of addresses for
which it shouldn't cc: the author. :)

 - Matt