[plug] operating systems running the Internet

David Campbell campbell at torque.net
Sat Sep 19 10:32:38 WST 1998

Hmm... On sheer numbers Linux is doing pretty well...

Pitty there are no trend plots so we can tell what is really happening (ie
gaining ground/loosing). The +/-% for a single month does not accurately
reflect longer term trends (I would like to see six months worth of data).

Secondly this does not perform a load average based on internet traffic.
ISPs like iiNet would probably laugh themselves silly at the suggestion
that an NT box could possibly survive as their primary web server.
This might show that the real competitor to Linux might be some other
UN*X variety (Compaq/Digital Unix?)

However any "brain damaged IT person(*)" can install M$ peer webserver
on an NT workstation for a small two bit company.

Appologies for being a touch skeptical, after all you can make statistics
say whatever you like...

David Campbell

NOTE (*): Those IT people who have installed W98 on their machines
are beyond help and should be humanely put down, preferably by
biting a live 240v power cord.

PS: Does anyone know what option for Apache needs to be set so
that IE4 can download <something>.tar.gz files?
I know that every other browser (lynx, Mosaic (for VMS), netscape,
IE2, IE3) don't have a problem, just IE4
campbell at torque.net

Current project list:
a) Maintain Linux ZIP drivers
b) Create Linux chipset specific parport drivers
c) Start on ParSCSI drivers
d) Boot proms for parport devices (socket onto NE2000 cards)

Any assistance to clearing this list most welcome