[plug] SiS530 video chipset and X

Rick (VK6EP) rickd at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 2 19:32:32 WST 1999

Hmm, sounds pretty awful. I've just got rid of an aopen card which used a
sis chipset. Different one, but I couldn't get it to work with X.

Now have a Matrox g200 (agp) card. X just loves it.

Perhaps none of the sis chipsets are good in X?????

Sorry to be so negative, but I sure got little advice that worked. I guess
it's an area that's largely unexplored.

Best of luck.

At 05:27  02/04/99 +0800, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>    I have just loaded redhat 5.2 onto a system using an integrated
>motherboard containing a SiS530 video chipset onboard.  Has anyone had
>any luck in setting this chipset up under X.  The SiS help on the XF86
>site did not work (wrong chipset?) and a web search shows little .  Even
>
>basic vga/svga servers at 640x480x16 don't work.  Works in windoze at
>vga and is fine in console text mode.  The symptoms look (something)
>like the monitor cannot lock to the frequencies generated but the
>monitor (multisync) display shows they are correct for the resolution
>selected.  When the hot-key is used to kill X, the console text is
>garbage and stty sane does not work - have to reboot.
>
>Bill K

Cheers
Rick

E=Mail    - rickd at iinet.net.au