Regarding 32 pin simms. was [plug] 1Mb 31 pin simms reqd

Phillip Summers psummers at omen.net.au
Sat Apr 3 06:14:09 WST 1999

Yes Chris, the 31 one pin simms were a proprietory format introduced by IBM
but never took off. They are particularily hard to get hold of. It was
indeed lucky to pick up ten matched simms from Leon. Unlike typical 32 pin
simms which use a 16 + 16 (=32) bit bus, the IBM ones use 16 + 15 (=31) bit
bus. Some clever cookie at IBM worked out a way to synthesize the last bit
in hardware on the motherboard. Probably in the same way as some more
expensive machine have parity generating hardware. I beleive they became
unviable when Intel started producing the 486. The higher clock speed of the
486 was able to outpace the ability of the IBM hardware to guess the value
of the last bit.

Regards Phil.