[plug] Fast page RAM

John Summerfield summer at os2.ami.com.au
Sat Apr 3 22:01:45 WST 1999

> Does anyone have either 2 x 8MB 72 pin fast page RAM chips, or, preferably,
> 2 x 16MB 72 pin fast page RAM chips, for sale, that can be bought this
> weekend? If so, what price, and how soon can we get them? We have a 486 with
> 4 x 1MB 30 pin chips, and 2 x empty 72 pin slots, and want to get enough RAM
> to make for an easier install, and better running.

I have a Pentium with 16 Mb FPM and 32 Mb EDO. I could be persuaded to
swap the 16 Mb for EDO. You are welcome to view the machine running with
RAM in place.

Anyone who wants to try me, mail offlist. I live in Midland: with some
delay I might be able to offer exchange in the vicinity of Goderich St E
Perth (but you don't get to admire the computer there).

> Alternatively, if we can't get the fast page RAM, could someone please give
> details of the method of installing Linux on one HDD, in one machine, then
> transferring it to another machine. This was previously briefly mentioned by
> someone, regarding something else. Does this work with different CPU's in
> the different machines? What about the different graphics cards, etc, in the
> different machines? Can RH 5.2 be installed this way, in a 6x86 box with
> 32MB RAM, then run on a 486 with 4MB RAM (without X) ?

You install  to the disk. Boot from the disk (to check it's okay). Remove
disk. Insert disk. Boot disk.

Ideally the disk should be /dev/hda in both machines. If this is
inconvenient, it is possible to make a boot disk and boot from that. It
would also be a good idea for the BIOS on both machines to have the same
idea about the disk configuration. Again, this can probably be overcome by
booting from floppy, and possibly by running lilo on the 486 after the
disk is in place.

As you're not using X, you don't care about video cards.

It might be prudent to build a custom kernel with only the bits you
actually need. I would NOT bother getting a 2.2 kernel: they're bigger.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield