[plug] Translating Unix time stamps into useable dates

Bevan Broun bevanb at ee.uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 5 12:37:05 WST 1999

on Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 12:21:24PM +0800, Michael Hunt <Michael.J.Hunt at usa.net> wrote:
> Does antyone know of a formula that I can use to translate unix time stamps
> like 923056282 into a useable date. I gater that this should be fairly
> simple as it is just a seconds count from January the 1st 1970. The thing
> that I am looking for is how to take into account leap years etc where the
> number of hours, minutes, seconds is not the same for other years.  Is there
> an inbuilt utilty for U*nix that can do this for me ?

There are c routines to do this. See mktime(3). There are probably perl
functions to do the same. There is also a package called mktime which
gives command line interface - see
http://www.interlog.com/~john/technogeek/source/mktime/

BB
--
Bevan Broun                                           ph (08) 9380 1587
Computer Systems Officer                             fax (08) 9380 1065