[plug] wav's on different device

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Apr 5 17:27:20 WST 1999

Now THIS is a scary Linux Util:
   http://www.wi.leidenuniv.nl/home/jwittema/awe/awe.html

Allows you to play Digital Audio out your AWE MIDI channel! Rather
scary, eh?

Anyway, their docs show you how to set it up so you can play MP3's out
it (using mpeg123), thus leaving your normal /dev/dsp for other uses.
This works, but the app is fairly resource-heavy (for something playing
all the time for MP3's), and it does have the occasional clicks when
you're streaming big audio.

I'd rather have it the other way around. ie; play my MP3's out normal
device, and use this other method for the occasional sounds, like system
events. Problem is, I can't find a WAV player that allows you to specify
a different device, or STDOUT. Both wavp and bplay have it hard-coded as
/dev/dsp. Anyone know of any other players?

Basically, need something to convert it into the dsp format (can SOX do
that?) Any ideas?

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :