[plug] CD Writer

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.smileys.net
Tue Apr 6 08:09:48 WST 1999

Daniel Pearson wrote:
> I need a bit of advice..
> I've saved up the money now, and I'm going to buy a CD Burner.
> Can someone please quote me on a SCSI 8x4 Burner, that is good quality and
> works with Windows 95?
> Any brand will do, but it has to be SCSI, a good price, and it had to come
> with the software, instructions, and the necessary things to install it in
> the machine.. :P

Two pieces of advice: use a real SCSI one, not ATAPI, since the ATAPI
ones frequently suck badly, even when they arrive with drivers et all
(ie it doesn't take much hardware instability/incompatibility at all to
break them); don't burn CDs under Windows, particularly W9[58] (as
opposed to NT), if you can avoid it. On one machine in my area of
influence, writing CDs under Windows results in a coaster if you do more
than move the mouse... slowly... but the same machine running Linux will
do a kernel compile at the same time as a burn (4x/6x drive) without
coming close to dropping its bundle.

--
"The most dangerous thing in the world is to try to leap a chasm
in two jumps." -- William Lloyd George