[plug] PPP dying.

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Wed Apr 7 09:07:11 WST 1999

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Oliver wrote:

> Well I've moved over to Debian 2.1

> I'm using the wvdial utility, I'm sure many of you are familiar with it. It
> connects fine, shakes hands and claims to have started a PPP session, at
> which point it dies.

edit /etc/ppp/options
comment out the line starting with "auth"

What's happening is your pppd is asking iinet's terminal server to
authenticate itself to you.  The terminal server in question is of course
telling your pppd where it can shove it's authentication requests.

Note that it is discouraged to comment out the "auth" option in the main
options file, and that the way you're meant to do it, is run pppd with the
"call" option (eg pppd call iinet) and then create a file
/etc/ppp/peers/iinet containing iinet specific options, such as "noauth"

If you want to do the "right thing", do it that way, but if you're only
ever dialing out, and don't ever expect to have anyone dial into your
machine (or at least without authenticating via "login" or mgetty's
autoppp option) then it's fine to comment out "auth" as I described above.

 - Matt