[plug] apt-get segfaulting

bk at bofh.ns.ca bk at bofh.ns.ca
Fri Apr 9 22:22:52 WST 1999

> Hey, I'm pretty impressed with debian and it's package management
> utils...
>
> but for some reason apt-get is segfaulting while it says 'checking
> system integrity'. Any ideas on how to diagnose the problem?

Using debian 2.2 by chance? try apt-0.3, it may solve your problem. I
think the problem lies with libstdc++. When I had debian 2.2 (reinstalled
with 2.1 due to my other systems), I had to recompile apt/apt-get to get
it to work. If you want to recompile it, make sure you get the source
package of apt and just use apt-get from it. But just upgrading to 0.3 may
help. I'm not sure if 0.3 is in the package list  but back then I had to
download it from a specific URL which I have forgotten. If ou have any
debian related problems, visit irc.debian.org (openprojects) on #debian,
they're sometimes helpful, unlike #linux* on efnet.

-David.