[plug] apt-get segfaulting

Christian christian at global.net.au
Sun Apr 11 12:51:44 WST 1999

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Peter Caffin wrote:
> > As much as I find the Debian Homepage useful (up to date files, etc) and
> > the Debian distribution great (I can't see myself wanting/needing to go
> > back), the search page on that site sucks blowfish. To find packages, etc,
> > I always find myself back at Altavista typing in things like `+debian
> > +depends +packagename` to find things (which works).
>
> Then you are probably not using the search page correctly.
> Make sure you select "Descriptions", and if you can't find what you want,
> select "all versions" and "all". The latest versions of apt-get, for
> instance, will be in unstable. Then click on the appropriate package and
> you will be presented with clear, useful dependencies.

[other useinfo info snipped]

I totally agree, Greg.  Once you get used to it the Debian package
management system is quite superb and the web pages very useful.

> Probably there are other dificulties with Debian package-management that I
> haven't addressed, can anyone tell me what other problems they have?

I can't think of any - I can't think of a situation I've come up against
where I've had problems that weren't easily solved with what you
described.

Regards,

Christian.