[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Apr 12 09:37:56 WST 1999

Greg Mildenhall wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, skribe wrote:
> > It was just made possible because Linus and countless others chose to forgo
> > their proprietary interests.
> You make that sound like an unusual choice. Isn't sharing natural? To me,
> those who wish to prevent the world from benefitting from their
> achievements are the ones making the abnormal choice. It sickens me that
> our government interferes in the market in such a way as to allow these
> people and company's to act against it's citizen's interests like this.

It IS unusual! Sure, I love Linux and the whole concept of Free
software, but I myself find it difficult to give out code to something
I'm proud of, and I consider myself a fairly generous guy. It's not JUST
the money; it's something YOU have created, and it's nice to get
recognition for the work. If you release the source to a free app,
there's a risk (and it has happened) that someone'll nick the code,
modify it a bit, and call it their own. Sure, you can hassle them
legally IF you find out about it, but not everyone wants to fight for
their code.

Maybe I'm raving a bit, but from personal experience, it's harder to do
free code from an Author's point of view than it is from a Consumers. Or
maybe it's just something we have to learn how to handle. ^_^

Money is also nice for recognition. I'm not saying I agree with
Micro$oft's way, I think they DO overcharge, but when you put so much
effort into something, it's nice to get a little financial reward. If
someone charges $100 to spend an hour fixing someone's PC, why should we
be expected to give out our software we've slaved over for free?

Plus, it helps feed the family and DVD addiction... ^_^;;;

I'm all for free software, but I can see why it's not always practical.
I really do appreciate these companies who have different agreements
based on situation, such as Free for personal use, Cheap for Education,
and Full price for business...

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :