[plug] Microsoft Hotmail uses qmail?

Matt Kemner zombie at networx.net.au
Tue Apr 13 09:58:20 WST 1999

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Colin Rothnie wrote:

> I had to laugh when I was helping someone with their Hotmail account
> recently - sending to an unknown address causes the old "Hi I'm qmail" and
> "sorry it didn't work out" message.  Will wonders never cease - Microsoft
> running Unix, especially in something as visible as Hotmail?

Hotmail runs a mixture of FreeBSD and Solaris, which is what it was set up
on before Microsoft bought the company.. Shortly after they tried to
migrate to NT, but "...the demands of supporting 10 million users
reportedly proved too great for NT, and Solaris was reinstated."

Most online newscasters had a story about it, and a quick search found me
at least this URL:

http://www.kirch.net/unix-nt/hotmail.html

 - Matt
P.S. I wouldn't be surprised if M$ tries to move hotmail back to NT again
and again until they get it working, it surely must be a huge thorn in
their sides.