[plug] Fwd: [SLUG] Lucky 13 for Linux

Justin jhall at unforgettable.com
Wed Apr 14 11:33:20 WST 1999

At 02:21 AM 14/04/1999 , Greg wrote:
>Yep. If there are 200 people out there who want a copy, then between them
>they should be able to hire a programmer to make it for $2000.
>At this stage, the software has been written, the programmer has been
>paid, and I would consider there little benefit in not giving it, along
>with it's source, to others who want it.
>It might seem inequitable that the first 200 paid more for it than other
>users, but if they minded paying that much, they wouldn't have done so,
>and the software is probably worth less to those who didn't originally
>commission it. Besides, those who pay the piper write the spec for the
>tune.
So you are suggesting that if a program is developed for a purpose, and
that purpose if fulfilled there is no real reason why the code can not then
be set free...

ie, a program is written for company X by programmer Y to change a set of
blobs to blips..
program is finished, X buys it and is happy...
now that Y has been paid to produce the program they can change the
licence/ copyright to copyleft and set it free for anyone else to modify
and sell/ use etc...

is that one way it can work? a sort of combination of Proprietary and Free
software development models...

or is that totally contrary to Free software philosophy?

Justin