[plug] Setting up a monitor

Mike Holland myk at golden.wattle.id.au
Fri Apr 16 15:34:02 WST 1999

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 cthart at gbs.com.au wrote:

> LCD display -- 712x600 is all we can do.
> It seems to be a combination of bad modeline entry, buggy video chipset and

Why would an LCD display use a modeline?
Surely the resolution is fixed by physical pixels, and sync pulses are
irrelavant. Perhaps they try to emulate a CRT-scanning video card?

> I also have a monitor at home that can do 1280x1024 at 85Hz but whenever I try
> to push that into it, it doesn't
> always sync correctly, while the other OS has no problem with that

There are more variables to consider. A sync problem most likely means
your h-freq is too high. Try reducing the retrace/blanking time.

> If I change 32bit to 24bit, does it need a new modeline entry?

The monitor is analogue, so no effect. Modeline is just resolution, and
timing - width of blanking and sync pulse in "pixels".

Mike Holland <mike at golden.wattle.id.au>            Perth, Australia.
                          --==--
How many MCSEs does it take to change a light bulb?
[prizes for the best answer - to be published here.]