[plug] .telnetrc or Expect for telnet automation?

Steve Baker bakes at corona.iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 23 06:53:10 WST 1999

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Peter Caffin wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Andrew Howell wrote:
>
> To have workable screen settings when telnetting from a Linux console to a
> SCO box requires that you set the TERM variable to vt100 and then execute
> `stty erase <backspace>`. While that character can be added to the script
> using vi, the expect script ignores it..
>
> For now, I let it end at the end of `stty erase ` and manually press
> backspace and return (silly? yes, it feels it). Anyone heard of a better
> alternative?...

If expect ignores the backspace character, set the stty mode with two
characters: ie a '^' followed by a 'H', so you have 'stty erase ^H'.  The
stty command knows to read that as a single control character.

bakes
Steve Baker,  aka  bakes at corona.iinet.net.au
Open your mind, then check out http://www.peg.apc.org/~nexus
No-one can tell you exactly what you have gotta be -- Jimmy Barnes