[plug] Telnet Timeouts w. IPMasq

Trevor Phillips phillips at central.murdoch.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 19:06:54 WST 1999

John Summerfield wrote:

> > Is there any nice way to do a keepalive for Telnet sessions?? Something
> > to prod it every few minutes?
>
> I seem to have missed something. I use this
>         /sbin/ipfwadm -M -s 7200 300 7200
> and can telnet through it for simply ages without inactivity timeouts.

Two hours in fact! So, what happens if I go to a meeting at 10:30am,
followed by lunch, and get back to my office at 1:00pm? My Telnets have
dropped out! I like to come back to something later, without having to
log in again, and sometimes that's even overnight. Sure, I could set the
timeout to something exorbidant, but it seems a clunky method of keeping
the connection.

Even an infinite while loop with sleep of 10 minutes that echo's
something would be preferrable, but that's also clunky (and can mess up
the display).

: CWIS Technical Officer         -           T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :